Director of Development
Department: Development Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt Reports To: President/CEO
Amount of Travel Required: 5%
Job Type: Regular Positions Supervised: Patron Services, Grant Writer
Work Schedule: 8:30AM-5:00PM M-F
Responsible for all fundraising activities for the West Virginia Symphony Orchestra including the Annual Fund Campaign and Concert Sponsorship Program, working cooperatively with the board, President, and other staff. The director of development serves as staff liaison with fundraising projects of the West Virginia Symphony League. The director of development supervises two development assistants, one full time and one part time. The position reports to the President.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Responsible for all fundraising activities for the West Virginia Symphony Orchestra including the Annual Fund Campaign and Concert Sponsorship Program, working cooperatively with the board, President, and other staff.
• Coordinate annual campaign to raise unrestricted dollars for operational support including: personal solicitation, direct mail, events, and grant applications to foundations and governmental agencies.
• Develop and implement strategies to obtain funds from state, county, and local governments.
• Assists in developing a communication plan to support development activity that raises the profile of The West Virginia Symphony Orchestra, demonstrates accountability, provides recognition, keeps donors and public aware of the needs, priorities and investment opportunities within the organization.
• Create a cultivation plan for donors and community influences to become active stakeholders in the organization through their involvement in the West Virginia Symphony Orchestra programs as advocates, ambassadors and supporters.
• Provide training and mentoring of development staff.
• Advise and assist the president in planning and executing policies and programs.
• Develop outreach opportunities for the president and trustees to elevate the profile of the organization and keep its mission before the public.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
• Autonomy - Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Business Acumen - Ability to grasp and understand business concepts and issues.
• Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
• Initiative - Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
• Presentation Skills - Ability to effectively present information publicly.
• Leadership - Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
• Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
• Enthusiastic - Ability to bring energy to the performance of a task.
• Management Skills - Ability to organize and direct oneself and effectively supervise others.
• Consensus Building - Ability to bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
• Delegating Responsibility - Ability to allocate authority and/or task responsibility to appropriate people.
• Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
• Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
• Persuasive - Ability to influence others to change position or to adopt a specific point of view.
• Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor's Degree (four year college or technical school): Required
Experience: 2 plus years of experience in Fundraising
The position requires a highly motivated self-starter with excellent communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. At least 2 years of fundraising experience in a comparable position required. Bachelor's degree required. Strong computer skills including database, word processing, and spreadsheet required. Supervisory experience is helpful. Knowledge of classical music is extremely helpful
Computer Skills: Proficiency in MS Office products ( Word, Excel, Outlook, etc...). Database management software, Raisers' Edge preferred.
Other Requirements: Excellent written and verbal presentation skills; strong management and leadership ability, including effective supervision of staff; accountability for resource management and deadlines; high level of self motivation; a strong team player who works well in a collaborative environment; strong planning skills; and an interest in and understanding of the performing arts, the visual arts and science.
TO APPLY: please send a cover letter and resume to Joe Tackett, President, West Virginia Symphony Orchestra, PO Box 2292, Charleston WV 25328 or e-mail
ARTIST-IN-RESIDENCE FOR STRING EDUCATION
Duties: Teach string students in two schools (Pinch Elementary and Elkview Middle School) in Kanawha County approximately 15 hours of contact with students each week.
Compensation: $15,000 annual salary plus individual health insurance provided by the WVSO. A background check is required.
Requirements: experience as a beginning to intermediate level string instructor. Teaching certification is helpful but not required. Residency in or willingness to relocate to Kanawha County, WV is required.
Availability: Contract begins August 11, 2014 and runs through August 10, 2015.
Note: If you are a current member of the WVSO, you will be given preferential hiring status for this position. If hired, the salary is paid by the WV Symphony Regional Outreach Group and is in addition to per-service wages you currently receive for each concert.
TO APPLY: please send a cover letter and resume to Betty King, Education, West Virginia Symphony Orchestra, PO Box 2292, Charleston WV 25328 or e-mail
. Application deadline July 18, 2014.
Equal Opportunity Employer